Sound Off: Join the Conversation
9th May 2012Posted in: Sound Off: Join the Conversation 247
For Every Christian that Opposes Gay Rights

Tuesday, North Carolina approved a constitutional amendment that banned gay marriage. Notwithstanding the fact that gay marriage was already banned, the percentage that the amendment passed with was astonishing (58% in favor). The successful passage of the amendment was the result of Christian opposition.

When did homosexuality become the number one enemy of the church? Sure, the Bible says it is a sin: an abomination even. But the amount of hatred and bigotry that foments to the surface of the Christian church in regards to gay rights is astonishing. I can speak to this first hand. I preached against homosexuality with the same amount of fire-and-brimstone energy as any other preacher. Then one day, I grew up.

No other issue brings the church together more than our opposition to homosexuality. We are divided on abortion rights. We are divided on social justice. We are divided on race issues. But homosexuality, we all agree to hate with biblical zealotry. Why? Is it because the Bible says it is an abomination? If that’s the case, why don’t we hate the other sins God labels as abominations?

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.—Proverbs 6:16-19

No. This couldn’t be it.

Do we hate homosexuality because it is “destroying our families” like so many would have us believe? It couldn’t be that either. Divorce rates are just as high in the church as they are in the rest of the world. So, unless all these families broke up because one spouse suddenly realized they were gay, homosexuality couldn’t be the reason our families are breaking apart.

Click to download your free chapter on Gay Rights and Christianity

So what is it? The answer is simple. We have warped Christianity into a religion that needs a physical enemy onto whom we can project our latent anger, hatred, and frustration. Much like urban preachers who preach against your “haters,” or evangelical pastors who preach against “liberals,” we have transformed Christianity into a bludgeoning tool. And what good is this tool without someone to hit across the head with? Too many of us get off on condemning our so-called enemies to hell. We think Christianity is about telling others what they are doing wrong instead of correcting our own missteps.

Regardless of what you think of homosexuality, Gay Rights is not a spiritual issue; it is an American issue. Gays and lesbians have just as much right to America and her corresponding rights as Christians. America is for every person of every faith and even those of no faith at all. If you think our role as Christians in America is to force our religious beliefs on those who don’t wish to abide by them, then you are no better than the Islamic extremists that wish to impose Shari ‘a law.

I’m certain this note will bring the ire of many of my Christian brothers and sisters. So be it. If you choose to label me as heretical simply because I believe gays and lesbians should have every legal right that I have, then I gladly accept your rejection. I would rather be associated with people who actually act like Christ rather than people who use religion to oppress. Feel free to de-friend me now.

Click to read: Gay Rights, Christianity, and the Constitution.

247 Responses

1. Seriously? says:

Reading this article, and all the comments that followed, really brought my cognitive ability to a complete stand-still. Many, MANY, of the comments made have misconstrued the teachings of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit into ideas of evil and hate. Also, many answers to the ignorant followers of Christ have been just as filled with negativity, seclusion, and sadness. I am 1,000% positive that if Jesus were to come back tomorrow he would hit all of us upside the head while saying: “Not what I meant stupid!”
    Let’s get one fact very-VERY-clear: The bible was written by man. As stated in the bible the race of man is prone to ignorance, judgement, manipulation, and altering ideas to better fit their own perspective…ya know, the free will that we have been given to do with what we want. Therefore, it is safe to say that the bible, although a wonderful source to preach love, probably isn’t the most reliable source when discussing what God really thinks.
    There is, however, one underlying idea that is stated in all stories DIRECTLY quoting Jesus. Love each other, love me, and be a good person. I am sure that if Jesus had come today instead of 2,000 years ago, one of the commandments would be: “Thou shall not use thy iPhone when conversing with family around the dinner table.”
    As far as people saying how some will want to marry their dogs next or date children, ignorance can only be changed if it is identified. The fact is simple, two CONSENTING LEGAL ADULTS have the capacity to understand fully what a loving and healthy relationship is about. Also, it would rather difficult for a dog to sign a marriage license with out its opposable thumbs. How some of you think that is a logical comparison demonstrates that your cognition skills aren’t far above the dogs; which begs the question: Should you be able to get married if you are dumb as the dog??

My point is simple: I love God and I love men, so unless you are God himself HOW DARE YOU SPEAK FOR HIM YOU IGNORANT FOOLS.

2. Rsky says:

You had me, until you wrote, ” I would rather be associated with people who actually act like Christ rather than people who use religion to oppress. Feel free to de-friend me now.” So in other words, if I don’t agree with you, than I am not acting like Christ. I do agree with you, but I hate it when people assume that they are so right about their opinions that to disagree, is to be un-Christ like. Great post, other than that though

3. Faye says:

While I agree that we in the church tend to focus on homosexuality more than other sins, we do have it right that God sees it as a sin. Just can’t get away from Romans 1.

I will continue to love those I know who are homosexual. I will share what God says about their sin when given the opportunity. Just as I will be doing with those whom I know to be gluttons or gossips or liars or just plain lazy.

Sin is sin.

4. Carol Beaver says:

The real SIN is the number of children who could have been saved by death from starvation with the money spent to get this ammendment passed. I live in NC and am ashamed to admit it to anyone.

5. Faye writes “While I agree that we in the church tend to focus on homosexuality more than other sins, we do have it right that God sees it as a sin.”

Not all churches focus on homosexuality — just the genitally-obsessed ones. Maybe you belong to one of those, I don’t know.

You may claim that God sees it as a sin*, but — unless you are prepared to go after every other declared sin with equal vigor — let’s not pretend your thoughts on God have anything to do with it.

The instant a social group picks and chooses which sin to go after, they’ve abandoned pursuit of sin in favor of pursuit of their particular obsession. In this instance, that’s genitals, mostly. Bobbling, wobbling genitals. Not shaving or eating lobsters or women who speak up and need to be stoned to death for striking a man, but genitals.

“Just can’t get away from Romans 1.”

Well, the genitally obsessed WILL tend to focus on that, yes. But you have that right. Hey, whatever turns your crank.

Just — out of respect for the people and churches that AREN’T genitally obsessed — would you consider maybe not claiming it has anything to do with the Bible?

That would be swell.

“I will continue to love those I know who are homosexual.”

Rock on, but, well, it probably doesn’t matter to THEM, if you then turn around and act against them using the instruments of man. Just saying, if you REALLY want to express love and acceptance in His name, you know what you gotta do. You gotta, well, love and accept them.

“I will share what God says about their sin when given the opportunity. Just as I will be doing with those whom I know to be gluttons or gossips or liars or just plain lazy. Sin is sin.”

Well, rock on with your plan, there. No one’s saying you can’t condemn whatever you want, be it the people who wanna marry their dogs (see above, those rascals!) or just scary genitals.

-=-=-=-=-=-
    * Assuming your authority on the opinions of the Creator of all time and space can be verified. Citation, please?

6. Carol Beaver writes “The real SIN is the number of children who could have been saved by death from starvation with the money spent to get this ammendment passed.”

Ah, yes, well, starvation is a tragedy, no two ways about it.

But, alas, the genitally-obsessed tend to not SEE children* when they start out on their Adventures. They’ve got their priorities.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* For which, I suppose, we should be grateful, although honestly the number of people who support this Amendment via invoking sexual feelings about their pets has grown from a psychological curiosity in my perception to an outright pandemic! Who knew there were so many people just waiting for an opportunity to marry (or perhaps just romance on a lonely night) their dogs? I was sure suprised!

7. Seriously? writes “Many, MANY, of the comments made have misconstrued the teachings of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit into ideas of evil and hate. Also, many answers to the ignorant followers of Christ have been just as filled with negativity, seclusion, and sadness.”

Not a bad observation.

It would be swell if we could all agree that this issue had NOTHING to do with the Bible or any religion, and everything to do with the obsession some folks have over other folks’ genitals.

That would be swell.

“Also, it would rather difficult for a dog to sign a marriage license with out its opposable thumbs.”

Ooooh, hadn’t thought of that one. Good point.

I guess I get to the part where they decide that it’s okay to romance their dogs and my first response is “Whoa, people, is it really only our LAWS preventing you from doing the Horizontal Mambo with Rover?” It’s like they just sit there, hopin’, y’know?

“which begs the question: Should you be able to get married if you are dumb as the dog?”

I think they should be required to lick their own genitals.

It’s the only way to be sure.

“HOW DARE YOU SPEAK FOR HIM YOU IGNORANT FOOLS.”

Mmmmm, the subtle approach. Nice!

8. Bobbie Jo Justice says:

why won’t all of these “so-called christians” obey their bible and murder everyone who works on the sabbath as listed in Exodus 35:2 ?

why are christians such hypocrites?

9. A straight man with another idea. says:

So I’m gonna throw this out there….So we here in America have chosen “god” to Believe in , some countries have chosen “allah” , some “budda” some “zues” some I don’t know “santa”, all of which are stories passed down form generation to generation. ME ? I don’t believe in any of it, that’s right I think it’s all made up….I know I know that’s going to get some people upset, but follow me here, if all the stories we made up are not true, and we strip them back and erase them….,Don’t lose track…. Then we are just left with each other. I know a scary thing, we can’t blame any one or anything on our behaviors. It’s just us….Humans all by ourselves….Let that sit in for a moment don’t be angry….. Believe me it some times makes me feel very alone, but… it is also very freeing …, but if I am right and it is just us, shouldn’t we all try and make it as comfortable as possible for each other to live? Do we really want to be remembered as the generation that fought so hard for unequal rights? Seriously think about how we think about civil rights and how embarrassing that was….think…..we all deserve happiness….. life is way to short…..perhaps it’s time we take a big picture look at our short lives, strip off our blinders and stop trying to make other people miserable. Homosexuals are not hurting each other, they are fighting for rights so they can love each other just the same way everyone else does, that’s it!!!!…I am a straight man in a wonderful relationship with a wonderful woman. I have always been on the side of humanity and common decency. It kills me that others do not have the same rights as me….just kills me ….50 years from now this will be a non issue, a page in a history book. ……..So which page will you be on ? …..The page with all the hateful bigots holding up hateful signs… or the page with the straights and the gays walking hand in hand in victory over this terrible terrible stain in our history? ? Please don’t turn this into a belief in god debate, there are plenty of other web sites for that. Much love… I look forward to holding the hands of many of you, christians or non believers, when we stomp out this hatred, and finally move on………

10. Jody Winburn says:

11. All I Really Want says:

All I really want is to be able to enjoy the legal and financial benefits of “marriage”. You can call my federally recognized commitment to my partner anything you want. I just want my sixteen year relationship to be recognized and enjoy the same rights and benefits of any other “married” couple. I have no interest whatsoever in a “church” wedding or religiously recognized ceremony.

All I really want is:
    To be able to visit my partner in the hospital and make health care decisions without any hassle.
    I want to stop worrying about her or my future with regard to social security benefits, taxes, employment rights.
    I want a box to check on forms that actually describes my “marital” status.
    I want to enjoy the practical rights and benefits afforded federally recognized married people.
    I want people to understand that my partnership is as important and valuable as any marriage.
    I don’t want to recruit your children.
    I don’t want to ruin your marriage.
    I don’t want do any more damage to marriage than heterosexual couples already have done.
    I don’t want your religious beliefs determining my civil rights.
    I don’t want to flaunt my sexuality but I refuse to HIDE it and accept the way things are.

Is this really too much to ask? Really?

12. bpdadmin2011 says:

Not at all. Read the next article.

13. All I Really Want writes “Is this really too much to ask? Really?”

Nope, not at all.

May it happen ASAP!

14. Jody Winburn writes “So what youre saying is if I as a Christian vote agaist Gay marriage I hate Gay people?”

While I can’t speak for the OP, maybe this might help:

Whether or not you hate or don’t hate homosexuals is completely not an issue. You have the right to hate or love as makes sense for your soul, and that is between you and your final judgment.

What you absolutely DON’T have, however, is the right to raise your hand against someone else legally and restrict or strip away their civil rights.

That’s the difference between how you feel in your heart (who cares) versus how you act in the physical world (it matters).

15. ben says:

Jody wrote:

I’m saying exactly that. You are using your political power (insomuch as we citizens have any)to relegate gay people to second-class status, to deny them equal protection under the law.

It doesn’t matter what your words are, your actions are saying the real truth.

16. SARAH says:

I firmly agree with this article. I want to know why missions go to prisons and forgive the murderer, but won’t forgive homosexuality? The murderer makes his choice, the homosexual has no choice-it would be like telling a heterosexual they aren’t allowed to think that way because they will be faced with opposition if they don’t partner with a homosexual. It’s the boldfaced oppression of the extremists that caused religion to morph so much over the years. How many religions are there now based of the bible? Seriously, we can’t all be correct in interpreting a book that man wrote. Yes, I said it-written by man, even if it was the word of God. I am pretty certain that those disciples had bias whether they realized it or not. Cars did not exist, so how do we know they aren’t evil? The fumes destroy atmosphere…honestly.

17. Anonymous says:

Growing up as a Christian I was taught to Love everybody no matter what. But to hate the sin they are comitting and to pray for them. I still to this day live by that. So not all Christians hate Gays and Lesbians just the sin that proceeds them.

18. ben says:

Anonymous-

you can hate the sin, but if you take the next step and are voting to deny same-sex couples the constitutionally guaranteed rights afforded to others, you are guilty of oppressing them. It’s bigotry pure and simple.

19. BillnBob says:

“@Jody Winburn says:

So what you’re saying is if I as a Christian vote against Gay marriage I hate Gay people?”

Actually, yes, you are exposing a type of hate. If you are “Christian” nobody is telling you that you HAVE to marry someone of the same sex, so laws that allow gay marriage don’t concern you or your beliefs. They do concern me when “Christians” that are supposed to be about love don’t’ love me, they judge me to be a sinner (that is God’s job and God’s alone). The bible is far from condemming of homosexuality, at least the parts anyone pays attention to. There are lots of things in the bible people don’t believe in anymore, most of them in the same sections people quote to “hate” gays see: http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIOwnACanadian_10-02.html .

Or for a more scholarly look at the bible (instead of what you “may have heard”) http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm

But when you vote against Gay Marriage you are telling me what I “Have to believe” and “What I can (and can’t) do” and “I am not an equal person worthy of the same rights you think you deserve” and finally, “that you don’t like ME”. I would call all of those things somewhere between intolerance and hate.

My partner and I have been together for 20 years, Married for 3 (We were able to get married during the brief window when it was allowed in California). Very few of my straight friends can say they have stuck it out that long. The united states has one of the highest divorce rates in the world. “protect marriage”…. REALLY?

The big issue is there are two “marriages” one is a legal government sanctioned thing that affords a great deal of rights and privileges to those married. It has NOTHING to do with Christians or anyone from any religion. There is also a Church/Sacrament marriage that is bestowed on believers in a church. None of the gay marriage bills that have passed require ANY churches to marry anyone they don’t want to.

So vote against gay marriage, yea sorry it’s hate! You are hating on me personally.

NoH8te

bill

20. Lisa Moeller says:

so, my story is this….i lived as a gay woman my entire adult life. i was also addicted to drugs my entire adult life. i was sexually abused as a child and that was predominantly the reason. in june of 2010, i was healed of the abuse, delivered from drugs, and my identity restored by the power of Jesus Christ. the most humbling part is that i did not reach out to Him, rather He interrupted the downward spiral i was in, and completely changed from that moment on. i was completely homosexual and was instantly heterosexual, with absolutely no effort on my part. this debunkts the whole “born this way” theory, and i plan to release all that i have learned from Him in a book i am writing entitled, “You weren’t meant to carry that” which will bring to light the truth that God has placed in my heart, which i know will lead to criticism, resentment, and persecution. but for those with eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts that are open, it may also lead to restoration. i invite anyone who is interested in my story to friend me, and you can see photos and testimonies of God’s grace.

21. Ben ( a different Ben) says:

There might be a definitional error here. I don’t think people mean the same thing when using the word “marriage”. I don’t know for sure, but it almost looks like people are arguing different things with each reply. For Christians it looks like a union blessed by God or something along those lines. But it looks like another definition being used is the legal marriage in which the same rights having to do with taxes and such stuff is granted. I actually find it interesting that Christians don’t condemn non-Christians who are straight from marrying. Why can’t Christians get married according to Biblical beliefs, and gays get married legally and get the benefits too? People already don’t bring God into marriages, straight people, and they are allowed without a problem. I don’t know, I guess I just realized my problem with gays getting married has always been based on my view that marriage is an establishment by God. I still think it is, but now I think there is a separate, legal marriage as well. Make any sense? In other words, I’m still thinking through all this :P. But can anyone agree there is a Christan marriage, and a legal marriage that’s not based on religion already? And why would there be a problem with gays getting married, just as we are already ok with non-Christians getting married?

22. bpdadmin2011 says:

Download chapter 4. It speaks to that point exactly.

23. Ben writes “Why can’t Christians get married according to Biblical beliefs, and gays get married legally and get the benefits too?”

Sure!

“I guess I just realized my problem with gays getting married has always been based on my view that marriage is an establishment by God.”

Well, that’s easily rectified. Ritual bonding has been around a LOT longer than the Christian church, I’ll bet at by least two orders of magnitude.

“I still think it is, but now I think there is a separate, legal marriage as well.”

Kinda the other way around — marriage has been around for a LONG time in one form or another. Then, very recently, one group of people claimed it was theirs and theirs alone. Now, surely, they’re ignoring PLENTY of other groups in doing so, and in fact, are even ignoring their own history in doing so (how many wives did David have again…?), but let’s be clear who the newcomers to the party really are. ;)

“But can anyone agree there is a Christan marriage, and a legal marriage that’s not based on religion already?”

See Batman Marriage above.

(and as an aside, there are other religions than Christian. Just an FYI)

“And why would there be a problem with gays getting married, just as we are already ok with non-Christians getting married?”

There’s the rub.

I don’t think religion actually HAS anything to do with people’s objections to marriage for any adult. It’s just a justification. If religion were the PRIORITY, then such people wouldn’t do any number of things contraindicated in the bible, such as cuting their beards or eating shellfish, and they would do other things that they don’t, such as marrying their dead sibling’s spouse and stoning women for speaking out. This selectivity suggests that religion is not at ALL the reason for the objection, but only a handy justification.

Me, I’m betting on jealousy.

24. Lisa Moeller writes “… this debunkts the whole “born this way” theory…”

Lisa, it’s a great thing that you’ve found a path out of the horrors of your past. That’s fantastic and I wish you well. When I hear tales of child abuse, it always appalls me that people can be so horrible to each other.

I think, however, that it’s not exactly cricket that you can extrapolate your experience out to millions of other people. I’m just not sure your authority could be accepted in that regard.

No offense.

Besides, whether or not sexual preference is or isn’t chosen or innate* isn’t much of an issue — these are civil rights, and that basically means “Are these American citizens?” That’s the criteria.

The question out there is whether or not certain citizens can be denied the rights that other citizens possess and can acquire easily.

I suspect that the answer will eventually become yes, and it won’t matter whether or not you or anyone else believes sexuality is or isn’t a choice.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* Not that I can authoritively speak for YOUR issues, of course, but it seems to me that you might possibly be mistaking a response-to-abuse for sexuality, which is pretty much two different things. If that’s the case, then what you think was homosexuality might simply be, well, your brain keeping you close to women (perhaps with whom you felt safe), until such time as your recovery allowed you to be close to men. In other words, you’ve probably always been heterosexual, but have simply been afraid of men because of the trauma you described as a child. Once you found a way to deal with that trauma, your sexuality reasserted itself. This is just speculation, of course.

25. Diana G. says:

A great article. Have you read Bishop John Shelby Spong’s “Rescuing the Bible from Christianity?” Bishop Spong points out that what people quote most of all is Paul. He is credited with many of the letters in the New Testament, but he didn’t actually write all of them–but here’s the kicker. What I had gleaned and was corroborated by the Bishop is that Paul was gay. He did not act on his “Passions” but he hated women for them–as if we are to blame that he wasn’t attracted to us.
    Yes, Leviticus has it’s laws, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, but in Leviticus were laws written by people–not God.
    Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed—by a natural disaster. According to Bishop Spong, he is a Biblical scholar, the Old Testament is three different periods of Hebrew history, the Elohists, the Yawehists and the Deuteronomists. These were three distinct periods of history that got put together later–that’s why there are weird inconsistancies. They were slaves at one point, but, in the end, the Hebrews were conquering barbarians slaughtering people to gain land just as many tribes were at that time. The walls of Jericho? A siege. They didn’t just blow a trumpet. That was put in there to teach the youngsters what a blesséd race they came from—chosen by God. A giant Fish tale.
    Even the gospels were written long after Jesus died. The first being Mark 60 years after the crucifixion. Yet, they say nothing about homosexuality being “bad” because Jesus did not see it as an issue. He didn’t talk about it. He taught love. How to be love, how to live in love. Love.
    Spirit gave me an insight that I have copyrighted,”God is Love. If we are made in the Image of God, then we ARE Love.”
    When someone tried to tell me that “God hates Gays,” I said, “God is Love, God does not hate anyone. People hate homosexuals.”
    Another good read is “Stealing Jesus” by Bruce Bawer. He talks about the history of religion in the United States. A very good read and very informative. Our history books in school don’t even cover this part of history. Yet, the US was founded on religious freedom–and the Puritans started the scalping of Native Americans–but that’s another post.

26. Diana G. says:

Ooops, that’s Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism by Bishop Spong.

27. bpdadmin2011 writes “EM, III. Where do you blog? lol. I want to subscribe—even though you unsubcribed from mine—but that’s okay. lol. You’re a hilarious writer.”

Okay, you talked me into it.

This is my Personal Weird Thoughts blog:

It’s new.

Enjoy!

28. Elizabeth says:

You have everything right. I am only 15, I am not gay, but I support anything that anyone believes in. I am agnostic and live in one of the most Christian counties in North Carolina but there are a lot of gay/lesbian people here. I hate how all the Christians act about it. A lot of people in my school are so against gay/lesbian relations. Thank you for saying all this. I would love for everyone to read this. But sadly if they do I doubt it will change anything.

29. zuul says:

so personally I oppose gay marriage. I think it’s a religious institution and if there are religions that say it’s incompatible, so be it. I think the state’s only involvement should be in civil unions/civil contracts/whatever you want to call it. so people can be married in all sorts of goofy, restrictive, multiplicative ways, but the government will only only have involvement and legal status in a fairly specific, legally created contact that would cover things like inheritance, property transfers, responsibilities for dependents and the like. it’d also have the side benefit of decoupling the state from religion. you can be married in whatever church you want, but the legal status should be completely separated and unrelated.

that seems like it should fix all these difficulties.

30. God is Not a Republican.

31. The fact is I know very little straight relationships that don't end in divorce. So who is protecting family values. Is it living in a 2 room trailer with your 8 kids??? I'm so over uneducated bigots, who can't even read the bible, having an opinion on who I ****. Worry about ur own ***** up relationships. Leave mine alone.

32. Besides interpreting the bible incorrectly. The sin of Sodom was inhospitality NOT homosexuality.

33. boy My Brother; When I am Not So Very Tired; Bro ; I am Not Making An Excuse About Being So Very Tired Now, But Although I Suffer A Few number of Some Health Problems ;Right Now ; Well.

34. Elizabeth Kate says:

I agree! Although I would have to disagree with the statement "Gays and lesbians have just as much right to America and her corresponding rights as Christians." Its seems like you are implying Gays/Lesbians can't also be Christian, which would be the same thing as saying anyone who lies can't be a Christian.

Other than that, well said!

35. Great point. That line could have been better stated in the manner which you suggest. Gays and Lesbians can obviously be Christian!

36. S.c. Wilks says:

The law that was voted in in North Carolina did not only have to do with gay marriage. It also involved "common law" marriage. Why should you be allowed to get additional benefits from someone you're not married to? Plus you're paying less in taxes. Render unto Caezer that which is Caezer's. And render to God that which is God's.

37. S.c. Wilks says:

38. It is a sin when you continue to do it not if you are trying to stop. Hence Jesus told the woman caught in adultery "Go and sin no more" . 5For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7for he who has died is freed from sin.

39. Elizabeth Kate says:

You're right. God is Love.

40. thekindofgal says:

If you are aware that homosexuality is a sin, then you must be aware that any support to a sin is also a sin. Each one of us will be convicted in our own ways, but my question is how can Christians who LOVE the Lord support what is evil in His sight (for example abortion)? You know what gets to me though? When people use excuses such as “God is Love” and overlook his Justice.

We are at Spiritual war with God, and He has a problem with us.

I do agree with some of your thoughts; one, we should not use religion to oppress people, but Christians must also stand firm with the Scripture. Two, I like how you said “Gay Rights is not a spiritual issue; it is an American issue.” The problem lies within the heart, no matter what the issue is. Thirdly, too many Christians are concern with condemning rather coming off as understanding and compassionate.

My only concern with your opinion is are you standing with the Scripture when it comes to defending His (God) creation; He created and defined what Sexuality, family, and marriage is. I oppose gay marriage and know that it is largely influence by my faith in God. Mind you I do not protest nor have ever been part of it, and I have never told a gay person that they are going to hell. Even if gay marriage pass, I do not rest my faith in laws but the Power of God and His grace to change people.

41. Jay A Small says:

While I would prefer the lot of followers of all religions to think for yourselves, this piece is a perfect example of that. In our country religion has no business formulating law. If there happens to be overlap with law and religious doctrine, it is merely happenstance. More Christians should follow this author, and voice to their brethren to do the same.

42. Jay A Small says:

43. Scott Gray says:

1. “Some people say homosexuality is a sin. It’s not. God is perfectly cool with it, God feels the exact same way about homosexuality that God feels about heterosexuality. Now you might say, ‘Whoa, slow down. You move too fast. How could you have the audacity, the temerity, to speak on behalf of God?’ Exactly, that’s an excellent point and I pray that you remember it.”.

Ted Alexandro

44. I agree with you. The Church should be about acts of kindness towards everyone instead of acts of meanness.

Even for those Churches that follow the view that homosexuality is a big sin, they must know that homosexual people are not sinning by having the attraction. So if they are in favor of harming these people in any way it is hitting someone over the head who may be trying and or actually following that Church completely.

45. Kelli Lasley Brochon says:

Can anyone tell me for what reason would homosexuals need to be considered a protected class? What kind of disability do they suffer? What are the handicaps that come with it? How are these handicaps greater then those who are not homosexual? These questions had to be asked and answered to determine the protected class standard, what were the answers? Ultimately I don't care what people do behind closed doors, however I strongly object to the homosexualization of the country. It's in sitcoms, in school cirriculum, parades are held, political action committees formed, books written, movies made, and now they demand the protected class designation from the ADA standards, why? Homosexuals represent 2% of the population, it can not be the sheer numbers driving the homosexual agenda so what IS driving the agenda? There is an ideology at work who will stop at nothing to diminish, even destroy Americas fabric. The freedom we have enjoyed as Americans has been attributed to our just and moral society. An unjust and immoral society will never be able to promote freedom, they need policing. Get rid of religion, which provides restraint, flood the youth with decadence, promote immorality, reduce the education so society will be more mailable to your propaganda, utilize the new PC standards as a vehicle to attack the opposition. Sadly I know many homosexuals who resent being used as a tool, they resent being paraded around, they understand their lifestyle goes against the grain, against the norms, I usually hear about their sexuality being more of a burden then a badge. Even they recognize the assault on society and for the most part resent any other idea. Wake up!

46. Dan Villmow says:

The fact is, We are all sinners according to the Christian belief system. And because we are all sinners, whether one has a sexual preference for hetero, homo, rape, or even serial killer, we are all equal in that we all go our own way, to which we seek pleasure, satisfaction, love, completeness, and purpose. The only flaw is that none of those things will give us what we seek; because Christ Jesus is the only answer, the only source of love and contentment. The issue is not that Christians hate homosexuality, it's that the majority of them have forgotten that "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us", and to share this with love to everyone, gay, straight, rapist, or murderer alike….and upon accepting Christ, He will renew your mind and give you the power to defeat what the bible claims to be evil. However, guilt trips, personal attacks, and especially judging others is not the way to "win friends and influence people." To be a friend, to genuinely care about your fellow man no matter what they believe or do is true tolerance. When African-Americans were allowed to serve side by side with whites in the military, there was conflict but in the end they needed each other, watched each others back, depended on each other to survive, and eventually respected each other and became lifelong friends….Without Christ as the centerpiece, each to his own.

47. It would be nice if homosexuality weren’t compared to rape and murder.

If you need a sin against which you must compare, consider using “the eating of shellfish” and “shaving the corners of the beard.”

That way, none of the alleged sins involve people being raped or killed.